Delicious Choc-Cherry Nut Night Time Protein Shake
After getting some great feedback on my Wide Awake Protein Shake recipe a few weeks ago, I set out this week to formulate something for the other end of the day… a Night Time Protein Shake packed with ingredients to help you get a great nights sleep, relax and recover!
First off I’ll give you a run down of all the ingredients you’ll need for this great tasting and really effective shake and why I chose to include them:
– 1 serving of Chocolate Caramel High Pro – A good source of protein at night time is really important to fuel your body overnight as it tries to recover.
– 4-5 Almonds & ½ teaspoon of Almond butter – almonds are a great source of magnesium which is known to help you relax and get off to sleep, the healthy fats in the almonds will also slow down the digestion of the shake so you are drip fed nutrients throughout the night.
– 2-3 Hazelnuts – a great source of vitamin B6 which has been proven to help in treating insomnia and increase serotonin. The healthy fats will also act similarly to almonds and provide a gorgeous nutty flavour.
– 200ml Almond/Hazelnut milk – provides a great base for the shake as well as being a good source of calcium which is known to help reduce stress. (You can also mix in a couple of teaspoons of Greek yogurt here too for added calcium and a lovely creamy texture)
– A heaped teaspoon of Cocoa powder – Not only will this make the shake taste fantastic, cocoa is a great source of zinc which is great for relaxation and helping you to get off to sleep. – add as much as you like of this for an intense chocolate flavour!
– 100-150ml Cherry juice/ handful of cherries – Many people swear by Cherrys to aid in overnight recovery and are proven to boost melatonin which is really crucial for a great night’s sleep.
– A handful of spinach – Yes, I hear you saying ‘why would I put that in?’ but trust me spinach is a real superfood, it’s a great source of magnesium, calcium, vitamin B6 and potassium which are all going to help you get a great nights sleep. ( and if you wizz this in to your shake thoroughly early on you wont even know its there in the end… so don’t worry about it tasting weird!)
– Vanilla essence – Just adds a little extra flavour to really kick the shake a kick
Blend dry your almonds and hazelnuts so they are fully ground up before adding anything else.
Then pour in your milk and add in the spinach & mix thoroughly until fully smooth.
Next, add in the rest of your ingredients and fire up the blender again until everything has completely mixed.
Open the lid on the blender are you should be in for a real treat, the lovely, creamy shake will smell fantastic and taste just as good (If your shake looks a little too thick chuck in a couple of ice cubes or a little extra milk) then pour it out and enjoy!
Finally… go get yourself a great night’s sleep and wake up feeling awesome the next morning.
Give it a try and let me know what you think
P.s. If there are any other recipes you’d like to see just let me know and I’ll see what I can come up with for you! Im always happy to help wherever I can.
In the mean time go and enjoy this great Night Time Protein Shake and be sure to try out some other Sativa Shakes creations both from our blog and our friends, Dietician Nichola Whitehead, at nicsnutrition.com